I often get the question, if you had the choice to travel to place A or B, which would you choose? Or do you think I’d like place A or B better? And to answer that question, it really depends on the destinations you’re looking at choosing between. There are some cities that many people try to choose between if you only have one opportunity to head somewhere so if you end up having to make that choice, here’s how I’ll best help you decide in this new Land of Marvels series.
So, you’re headed to Europe and you’re wondering if Paris or London would be a better choice for you to explore and base yourself?
Well… both are two of my favorite places on the planet but if you can only pick one, here’s my best information to help you choose!
Choose London if you…
- Could spend hours wandering museums – hello British Museum, V&A and Natural History
- Don’t want a language barrier (if you speak English) – cheerio!
- Love pub food – hand over the giant helping of fish and chips, followed by sticky toffee pudding
- Don’t mind splurging a bit – London isn’t cheap but it’s worth the splurge
- Want to wander large parks and green spaces – ride bike shares around Hyde Park with the locals
- Like to shop – everything you could ever imagine is available in London from high street faves like Zara and Topshop to high end everything
- Want to explore the UK and Ireland – Edinburgh, Belfast and Dublin are all only a train or short flight away!
Choose Paris if you…
- Love a good romantic spot – Paris was built for romance!
- Want to learn about European history – it was Marie Antionette after all who said “let them eat cake!”
- Want to be based on Mainland Europe – for easy access to trains all over Europe
- Like learning French – parlez-vous Francais?
- Want a slower pace – like sipping espresso as slowly as you want watching the world go by
- Could spend hours wandering – cobblestone alleys are at their finest in Paris
- Are more reserved – Parisians are notoriously stoic, but open up when you give them the chance
- Want to use more public transportation – Paris’ metro is one of the best in the world
Krystal // The Krystal Diaries says
I really want to see both! Earlier this year I was planning a trip to London with some friends but they got scared to go there for some reason (we’re from NYC so I don’t totally understand the fear) so we switched it up and are going to Paris now. I’m super excited for the trip either way but I did want to see London first.
Wow, that’s too bad that they switched up going to London, it’s such a wonderful city! But Paris is great too and you know how much I love Paris 🙂 Have an amazing trip!
Diana Maria says
Both are such amazing cities, it’d be hard to choose between the two! I think Paris definitely is romantic, but the Louvre takes so long to see you could spend days in that museum! I’m glad I’ve been able to see the beauty of both cities xx
Sending light & love your way,
My Lovelier Days
They are both so unique and wonderful! Each have such amazing places to see and visit and it’s so hard to choose! 🙂
Taste of France says
London is a bit more expensive, although Paris isn’t exactly a bargain. But you could do both London and Paris, as the Eurostar makes the trip quick and easy. Budget airline Ryanair also flies to a number of destinations from London, including Carcassonne in the south of France. For a cheap flight, you can see a bit of France that offers castles, great food and wine, beautiful countryside and that’s a little easier on the budget.
Both are super destinations, though if you have to choose, I’ve found some people much prefer one over the other. I love London, but Paris will always be my number one! 🙂
Julia Sheed says
I could go either way – guess I will have to choose both! 😛
Hahah! That’s the best answer! 🙂